- New Design in Crochet (1972) by Clinton MacKenzie, an art professor. Book will be evaluated in the next blog entry later today or so.
Skimmed while waiting for other early '70's books to arrive:
- Vogue Guide to Crochet (1971) Occasionally I'll skim a '70's book that lacks a pioneering emphasis in its title ("New", "Adventurous", "Creative", "Discovery" etc).
- Crochet and Creative Design (1973, 1st ed.) by Annette Feldman--it just arrived in the mail.
- I may skim America's Crochet Book (1972) by Gertrude Taylor.
The minute they arrive (any day now) I'll read these:
- Crochet: Discovery and Design (1972) by Del Pitt Feldman
- New Ways with Crochet (1972) by Dorothy Standing
- Fashion Crochet (1969) by Caroline Horne (might skim this one)
- Crochet: A Modern Guide to an Ancient Craft (1969) by Iris Rathbone (might skim this one)
The Horne and Rathbone books (the last two) are complete wildcards to me--I've never heard anyone mention them. They lack any pioneering terms in their titles, but hey, copyright 1969! I'm intrigued! Might offer a useful context for the '70's books.
Books too darned expensive for me to order right now:
- Modular Crochet (1978) by Judith Copeland, currently over $100.
- Creative Crochet (1973) Arlene Stimmel and Nicki Hitz Edson, currently $65 and up.
- Batsford Book of Crochet (1981) by Ann Stearns. Past the '70's, but people make it sound so good; minimum $40 now.
- Crochet: A Basic Manual for Creative Construction (1974) Mary Tibbals Ventre. Okay, so it's only going for $29 right now, but no one ever raves about this one, and it's still more than I want to spend after buying crochet books I'm more sure of for much less. I have no shortage of '70's crochet books to read!