Friday, May 20, 2011

Tunisian Crochet Lace: New Habits

After designing several lacy Tunisian crochet wraps, and teaching how to crochet Tunisian lace to both knitters and crocheters in local yarn shops, I've noticed a few things. I thought I'd blog them below as a way of listing my tips, strategies, and observations in one place.
My newest Tunisian crochet lace design!

The #1 most remarkable thing to me about Tunisian crochet: it can be super-lacy, but rarely is. I suspect that a lot of people don't know just how lacy it can be. Instead, a huge amount of Tunisian crochet that I see is perfect for keeping someone warm. For me, Tunisian crochet can also be breezy, weightless, and super-lacy: perfect for a Florida summer! 

Sequined Tunisian Net for Evening
In my Tunisian crochet lace classes, I find that many crocheters start out expecting to use a tighter gauge with Tunisian stitches--even if they have experience making other kinds of lacy items. Some think that their Tunisian stitches are done correctly if they look and feel like they have no 'breathing room' (no extra ease built in). 

I've seen some people make lacy Tunisian stitches, then assume that they need to rip them out and start over with a smaller crochet hook size to firm up the stitches. (This would be true for making sweaters and blankets.) Actually, they might only need to spritz with water to dampen and block
Sneak Peek of Rivuline

When I look at looser Tunisian stitches, I see room for the lace to open up and "blossom," with flexible joints for beautiful draping. 


I suspect three possible reasons for non-lacy approaches to Tunisian crochet:
My Petals Tunisian stitch pattern.

1. When many crocheters and knitters learned how to do Tunisian crochet, they made afghans first. These students need to see the familiar stitches (such as Tss) in a new way: more open, with room to breathe and drape.

2. Each Tunisian crochet stitch tends to be shorter and smaller than most regular crochet stitches, especially when making lace. So, viewed up close, looser Tunisian stitches can look too loose, even sloppy to some, but will look elegant and stylish as clothing, especially after blocking.


Shaktism, a sneak peek
As a designer, another way I'd put it is, the fine-grained smaller scale of Tunisian stitches inclines one to lose sight of the larger perspective, which is how these stitches look together from a distance as a larger piece of fabric.

3. The unique Tunisian crochet process of adding all loops of a new row onto the crochet hook during the Forward Pass, and then working them all off during the Return Pass, might make some people want to "yank" their loops too tightly, rather than too loosely.
Most of all what I see in my classes is a habit, or comfort zone, of working Tunisian crochet so that the stitches are snug and dense. This is fabulous for afghans and winter sweaters, hats, and scarves. If this is true for you, don't worry. It doesn't take long at all for your fingers and eyes to start experiencing Tunisian stitches in a new, lacy form.

Here are some tips:

If it's your first experience with a Tunisian crochet lace pattern, really try to match the designer's gauge as a way of learning a new way of perceiving, and a new feeling for the stitching fingers. (Normally, matching a designer's stitch and row gauge exactly might not be essential for wearing a loose-fitting, gorgeous swath of Tunisian crochet lace, unless you want to match the finished dimensions and yarn amounts stated in the pattern as closely as possible.)
Ennis Wrap: Tunisian Filet Crochet

- I suggest swatching with a yarn that has gentle color changes if this is your first Tunisian project featuring multiple Tyo. The color changes make it easier to distinguish a Tyo loop from the nearby vertical bar of a Tss.


- When making three or more Tyo (Tunisian Yarn Over) in a row, tug on them a bit to firm up how they're wrapped around the hook during the Forward pass. (If they don't slide easily along your hook though, then you've tightened them too much). 
- When working multiple Tyo loops off of your hook during the Return pass, use longer stitches. I stretch them a bit as I work them off of my hook.

- Spritz your stitches with water as you crochet anytime and gently stretch open the lacy holes to see how the extra ease of a looser gauge allows the lace to open up.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:17 PM

    I admit it. I'm really surprised by how lacy it can be. I'm one of those who is guilty of thinking tunisian is tight, not airy! This is a terrific post with gorgeous photos of your work and wonderful descriptions, Vashti. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. I do think many people expect Tunisian crochet to be dense, thick, and warm. I tend to provide hooks to the students in my beginner Tunisian crochet classes, and I usually give them a larger size to get them thinking in a lacier direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:15 AM

    As ever, Boss, the calm, clear, collected way you have of demystifying this stuff is a great service to crochet. You certainly make the process of supporting the patterns of hot-headed, disorganized designers like me much simpler. Instead of screaming I just point people to DesigningVashti's blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful description! As a beginner to Tunisian, I can see how thinking 'lacy' would be difficult at first. This is definitely something I want to do, since to me, crochet is 'relaxing and relaxed' and not something that should be tight and dense..LOL...although I like the way Tunisian makes warmer afghans...I love the look of lace! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Doris and Gabrielle. I'm glad this is helpful, I had been mulling it in my mind for months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find so much inspiration from your work and the instructions you share!

    web solutions

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit, I don't know much about tunisian crochet, but I always thought it had to be thick & bulky, too. The lace is really beautiful, & I am definitely interested in checking out more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work. I love the femininity of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. So many more lacy possibilities for Tunisian crochet have yet to be explored!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Tunisian crochet!!! I'm making s light as air wrap for autumn using lace weight yarn and a shell pattern. I absolutely am addicted to my Tunisian hooks :D

    ReplyDelete

Each comment is like a pretty bead in a necklace. Please add one!