Friday, May 22, 2009

Fun With Tunisian Crochet (a.k.a. "Afghan Stitch" or "Tricot")

Although I learned how to do tunisian crochet as a young child, I spent most of my years thinking of it as pretty much just one stitch. I wonder if others have too. That basic tunisian stitch, the Tunisian Simple Stitch (or TSS) is certainly special! (see 1st photo)-- but it's only a hint of what's possible.

I wonder what stitches haven't been discovered yet! I crave complete sets of tunisian hooks that haven't been invented yet! I fantasize about different stitches in weird or unexpected fibers! (for example, third photo below is batik fabric strips in tunisian. My friends prefer this side, usually called the "wrong side")

It wasn't until I started designing professionally
 that my creative imagination woke up to tunisian crochet.It's a rich alternate universe. Learning how to publish downloadable crochet patterns egged me on because now, tunisian crochet patterns can have space for step-by-step photo tutorials and other helpful information that might take up too much room in print media.

Yes, I have the tunisian fever and have been developing some new designs. For example, tunisian crochet roses (2nd photo). Another uses what might be a new tunisian crochet stitch, which I call "Wicker Stitch." (last photo below)

I'll be announcing new tunisian crochet patterns here as soon as they're professionally edited. I have my own storefront for downloadable crochet patterns set up in Ravelry now. I'll be making them easily available in other places too.

I'm inspired by these books, designers, and designs:
Two great forums:

Fabulous for learning about Tunisian Crochet:

5 comments:

  1. justme210:11 AM

    This is cool! I've been wanting to get back to Tunisian (maybe to avoid trying to learn the pointy sticks one more time); just ordered a set of bamboo Tunisian hooks from eKnittingNeedles.com (and can't wait for them to get here).

    Took Darla's Double-hook Crochet class at the Portland Knit/Crochet Show last weekend, and I think that also revived my interest. I've got the Silverman book and definitely will look for the Grabowski.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Vashti - I'm bookmarking this one! (And I'm looking forward to know everything about the rose and the new stitch).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Wicker Stitch!!!! Is it going to be in one of your patterns?

    Tobey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I'm getting my first patterns shaped up into downloadable pdf's right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a place to get a good pattern (for free) to do a tunisian stitch blanket?

    ReplyDelete

Each comment is like a pretty bead in a necklace. Please add one!