Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom!

Happy Birthday to me mum, who taught me how to crochet. We bought lots of yarn, pattern books, and beads together when I was growing up, with a wonderful spirit of adventure--we learned all the new techniques we could find: Broomstick lace (aka "Jiffy Lace"), Hairpin, and "Cro-Hook" for example. Mom helped me get the tools and info I needed to learn spinning and weaving too.
Back then we decided on a big joint project: a bedspread of sparkly yellow granny squares with a sparkly white flower in each center. I'm thinking that the yarn was the legendary but discontinued Dazzleaire.
Nowadays we live in different states so we haven't gone yarn-buying together for a long time, but Mom sends me some of her crochet and she's excited for me about mine. (See photo of me mum's crochet.) A few years ago we both were really into crocheting with wire and beads. Then Mom went whole-hog into thread crochet, the finer the thread the better! Also, needle-felting.
If I still had one of the sparkly granny squares I'd post a photo.

1 comment:

  1. Let me see, I was 2o and I made a hooded cape out of dazzleaire, I still have it! Funny, I still love it, even though I have progressed far beyond 70's acrylic! I also have some of those book!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment is like a pretty bead in a necklace. Please add one!