Friday, May 04, 2007

Marty's New Crochet Blog!

Today is Marty Miller Day on the Designingvashti planet! Check out her blog here:
http://notyourgrannyscrochet-marty.blogspot.com/ The focus is swatching and I'm hoping newer crocheters will be inspired by Marty's blog to find out what an art swatching is. For me it was a consciousness shift. I guess it happened sometime when I started designing. For my younger crochetself a swatch didn't used to be an end in itself--swatching was not a process that I enjoyed for its own sake. Instead, it was a means to an end that I had to get through to make something "more" or "real" such as a sweater (a.k.a. the "gauge swatch").

Besides finding one's gauge, a swatch is a content-rich research document. I save them like I save notes to myself. Like poetry fragments. Or like maps to secret gardens.

Here's a pic of Marty and me in the old-style CGOA booth (before it got a facelift by our competent Offinger staff), circa 2005, Oakland Chain Link conference.

We had just finished breakfast and were about to leave for a field trip to the legendary Lacis, hence the sunglasses I have handy.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love having a day named after me! :-)
    Thanks, Vashti!

    Marty

    ReplyDelete

Each comment is like a pretty bead in a necklace. Please add one!